iPhone and iPod Touch firmware 3.1 was announced at today's Apple event and it is already available to download today! The big things they showed off at the event were Genius recommendations for apps, Genius Mixes, download ringtones wirelessly, and the ability to organize apps in iTunes. Nothing that surprised me very much, although the organizing apps from your computer will definitely come in handy. You can find download links for all the device firmwares and a list of all the other new features or fixes in 3.1 inside!
- Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos1
- iTunes U content organization1
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
If you notice any new features Apple hasn't stated be sure to let us know in the comments.